Here at BIG we offer Peer Support through the means of support groups on Monday and Tuesday evenings and a social group on Friday during the day. Our groups are held in different venues in the local community. We offer a safe, welcoming environment where you will meet like-minded people who understand what it is like living with a mental health condition. People who attend say they no longer feel alone and have a sense of belonging. Our service users are at different stages in their recovery and we provide mutual support and hope to one another. We do not provide individual support for people at BIG.
All groups are free to attend but we do appreciate a voluntary contribution towards the cost of refreshments and room hire. Most people give a donation of £1 at each group. We rely on donations to run our service and we are very grateful for people’s generosity. Donate now
You can just turn up to our groups. When you are new to our service, please tell a volunteer on arrival. You will be asked to complete a short registration form before going into the group. This only has to be done at the first BIG group you attend. We do not expect you to make a commitment to attend every week and you will not be put under any pressure to talk in our groups. All we ask is that our ground rules are respected to ensure all present feel safe and that our groups run smoothly. Please note that if you have drank alcohol or used drugs on the day of the group, you will not be allowed to attend. Ground Rules
Events in July 2022
|27 June 2022||28 June 2022||29 June 2022||30 June 2022||1 July 2022||2 July 2022||3 July 2022|
|4 July 2022||5 July 2022||6 July 2022||7 July 2022||8 July 2022||9 July 2022||10 July 2022|
|11 July 2022||12 July 2022||13 July 2022||14 July 2022||15 July 2022||16 July 2022||17 July 2022|
|18 July 2022||19 July 2022||20 July 2022||21 July 2022||22 July 2022||23 July 2022||24 July 2022|
|25 July 2022||26 July 2022||27 July 2022||28 July 2022||29 July 2022||30 July 2022||31 July 2022|
.Stronger Together Group
A safe space for people to share their experiences and listen and learn from others in a non judgemental environment.
Share your experiences in a safe and welcoming environment whilst learning from our guest speakers.
Join us for a cup of coffee and a chat.
The inpatient peer support group is only accessible to patients on the Irwell Unit Psychiatric Ward at Fairfield Hospital. The group provides patients with a safe and non judgemental space to share their experiences with people who can relate to them. Patients get the opportunity to find out all about BIG so they can access our support when discharged from hospital.
These are the ground rules that must be adhered to by anyone attending the groups at BIG.
1. Everyone who attends the groups must sign in and sign out.
2. Please switch off mobile phones or put them on silent.
3. Please respect one another’s views, suggestions and differences of opinion.
4. Be mindful of how much time you talk so that everybody has an opportunity to speak.
5. Anything expressed within the groups should be kept confidential.
6. Safeguarding – we will have to break confidentiality if we are made aware that you are a risk to yourself or others.
7. People are not allowed to attend the group if under the influence of alcohol or non-prescription drugs.
8. Please do not use offensive language.
9. All the venues where we hold our groups have a no smoking policy. If you smoke, please go outside the car park or to the designated smoking area.
10. Only volunteers are allowed in the kitchen.
11. If you are affected by anything said in the group, please do not leave until speaking to the facilitator or any of the volunteers. (Cards with details of the Samaritans are available for you to take in case you need to talk to someone outside of the group).
12. The group facilitators are not professionals and are not qualified to give advice. In case of an emergency please seek professional help.
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
We are always happy to hear from you. You can contact us by one of the following methods: