Here at BIG we offer Peer Support through the means of support groups on each week day. Our groups are held in different venues in the local community. We offer a safe, welcoming environment where you will meet like-minded people who understand what it is like living with a mental health condition. People who attend say they no longer feel alone and have a sense of belonging. Our service users are at different stages in their recovery and we provide mutual support and hope to one another. We do not provide individual support for people at BIG.
All groups are free to attend but we do appreciate a voluntary contribution towards the cost of refreshments and room hire. Most people give a donation of £1 at each group. We rely on donations to run our service and we are very grateful for people’s generosity. Donate now
You can just turn up to our groups. When you are new to our service, please tell a volunteer on arrival. You will be asked to complete a short registration form before going into the group. This only has to be done at the first BIG group you attend. We do not expect you to make a commitment to attend every week and you will not be put under any pressure to talk in our groups. All we ask is that our ground rules are respected to ensure all present feel safe and that our groups run smoothly. Please note that if you have drank alcohol or used drugs on the day of the group, you will not be allowed to attend. Ground Rules
6 October 2022
A safe space for people to share their experiences and listen and learn from others in a non judgemental environment.
Share your experiences in a safe and welcoming environment whilst learning from our guest speakers.
Calm in Crisis
Support for people who are in crisis or hoping to prevent crisis point.
Join us for a cup of coffee and a chat.
The inpatient peer support group is only accessible to patients on the Irwell Unit Psychiatric Ward at Fairfield Hospital. The group provides patients with a safe and non judgemental space to share their experiences with people who can relate to them. Patients get the opportunity to find out all about BIG so they can access our support when discharged from hospital.
These are the ground rules that must be adhered to by anyone attending the groups at BIG.
1) Everyone who attends the groups must sign in and sign out by printing their full name on the sign in sheet – this is part of fire regulations.
2) Please switch off mobile phones or put them on silent – if you have to take an emergency call, please do so outside of the group room.
3) If you smoke, please go outside at the break.
4) Only volunteers are allowed in the kitchen area.
5) If you know you are going to be late to group, please try to arrive at break or wait until an appropriate time to enter the circle/room to minimise the impact on the group.
6) Everyone attending the group must show respect to others’ views, suggestions, and differences of opinion.
7) Please do not speak over other people, one person at a time, and we ask people to limit their use of offensive language and never directly swear at anyone else in the group.
8) Please be mindful of how much time you talk so that everyone has an opportunity to speak – if you run out of time, please speak to a facilitator at break or after group.
9) Everyone must respect others’ rights to privacy – anything expressed within the group should be kept confidential.
10) Safeguarding – we may have to break confidentiality if any information shared within the group raises concerns that you or another person is at risk of harm.
11) People are not allowed to attend the group if under the influence of alcohol or non-prescription drugs.
12) If you are affected by anything said in the group, please do not leave until speaking to the facilitator or a volunteer (Cards with details of the Samaritans are available for you to take in case you need to talk to someone outside of the group). The group facilitators are not professionals and are not qualified to give advice. In case of an emergency please seek professional help.
We ask for a voluntary contribution to cover the cost of room hire and refreshments.
A suggested donation of £1 was agreed by the group.
If you choose to donate, please place this in the donations tin provided where you sign in.
We have limited funds and appreciate your donations.
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
We are always happy to hear from you. You can contact us by one of the following methods: